Side Lot Program
If you live next to a vacant lot owned by the Jefferson County Land Bank, you may be eligible to purchase the lot to expand your yard at an attractive price. The Land Bank’s Side Lot program is a win-win for both parties: you get to expand your property for a nicer lawn, a home addition, perhaps a new garage or just more room for your kids to play. For the Land Bank, we get a property back into productive use and back on the tax rolls.
If you are interested in purchasing a side-lot owned by the Land Bank, you must meet eligibility requirements:
- The Applicant should live and own a property adjacent to the Land Bank lot.
- The Applicant must not have issued code violations from the local building and zoning authority for their primary residence and other properties he or she owns in Jefferson County.
- The Applicant must be current on all real estate taxes and assessments for their primary residence and any rental properties and other real estate owned in Jefferson County.
- The Applicant must not be a prior owner of real property in Jefferson County that was transferred as a result of tax foreclosure proceedings.
- The Applicant must commit to maintaining the lot in accordance with all local building, housing, and zoning codes.
The Land Bank reserves the right to exclude certain properties from the Side Lot Program and/or restrict ownership rights:
- The lot must be one-quarter (1/4) acre or less in total area or Side Lot Program Pricing does not apply. The Land Bank will determine fair market value or agree to other pricing as approved by the Land Bank Board.
- Lots in areas determined to have existing or potential mineral deposits will be conveyed less any mineral and subsurface rights which will remain the property of the Land Bank.
Purchase Price & Deed
Preparation & Recording
In addition to the purchase price, a lot buyer is also responsible for paying for the preparation and recording of the deed. Once your Application is approved, the buyer is to submit a Cashier’s or Certified Check for the total amount made out to the Jefferson County Land Reutilization Corporation.
Apply Here for a Land Bank Property
If you are an adjacent property owner and eligible to purchase a Land Bank property under the Side-lot Program, please download a copy of the Jefferson County Land Bank Side Lot Program Application by clicking the link below. Fill out the form and contact the Land Bank Administration for further guidance.