Vacant Lot Program
If you are interested in a vacant, tax-foreclosed lot, either commercial or residential, the Jefferson County Land Bank may be able to assist you in the acquisition of that lot. Under Ohio Statute, Land Banks had broad authority to acquire tax-foreclosed properties and eliminate outstanding liens to “clear” property title. The Land Bank’s Vacant Lot program is a win-win for both parties: you gain ownership of a property free and clear without paying off the burdens created by the previous owner and which you were not responsible. For the Land Bank, we get a property back into productive use and back on the tax rolls.
If you are interested in having the Land Bank assist you in acquiring a tax foreclosed property or purchasing a vacant lot owned by the Land Bank, you must meet eligibility requirements:
- The Applicant must commit upfront to paying all Land Bank acquisition and transfer fees estimated from a Fee Schedule approved by the Land Bank Board.
- The Applicant must not have issued code violations from the local building and zoning authority for any properties he or she owns in Jefferson County.
- The Applicant must be current on all real estate taxes and assessments for all real property owned in Jefferson County.
- The Applicant must not be a prior owner of real property in Jefferson County that was transferred as a result of tax foreclosure proceedings.
- The Applicant must commit to maintaining the lot in accordance with all local building, housing, and zoning codes.
- The lot must be vacant and unimproved real property with no structures unless approved by the Land Bank.
The Land Bank reserves the right to exclude certain properties from the Vacant Lot Program and/or restrict ownership rights:
- A residential lot must be one-quarter (1/4) acre or less in total area or Side Lot Program Pricing does not apply. The Land Bank will determine the fair market value or other pricing as approved by the Land Bank Board.
- Properties are sold “as is”. The Land Bank takes no responsibility for any existing environmental or other hazards on the property.
- Lots in areas determined to have existing or potential mineral deposits will be conveyed less any mineral and subsurface rights which will remain the property of the Land Bank.
Acquisition Costs, Purchase Price
& Deed Preparation & Recording
In addition to the purchase price, a property buyer is also responsible for paying for all acquisition costs as well as the preparation and recording of the deed. Once your Application is approved, the buyer is to submit a Cashier’s or Certified Check for the total amount made out to the Jefferson County Land Reutilization Corporation.
Apply Here for Land Bank Property
If you are eligible and interested in purchasing a tax foreclosed or existing Land Bank owned property, please download a Jefferson County Land Bank Vacant Lot Program Application by clicking the link below. Fill out the form and contact the Land Bank Administration for further guidance.